Sunday, March 11, 2012

BEST IN SHOW!!!!

I have some very exciting news...


My painting, "Modern Pixie" won BEST IN SHOW at BAYart's Spring Juried Show!
I am still a little in shock...

If that wasn't enough...the gallery director told me that BOTH of my entered paintings were actually up for the award - which is CRAZY! The judges eventually decided to give "Modern Pixie" best in show and "Crown Wearer" first place, but when they found out that both paintings were by the same artist they rightfully changed their mind so that more artists could be honored.

Here are the two paintings in the show:


the WINNER!
I couldn't be more thrilled!

A veteran sculptor we met at the opening, Louise, asked the question that was most on my mind after I got over the shock of winning: "So, where do you go from here?" ....Goooood question....

In this month alone I was in 5 shows (Small Good Things, Dewey's Coffee Shop, A Study in Wanderlust, BAYart's Juried Show and BAYart's Faculty Show), won a major award, and sold about a third of my inventory. If that isn't proof that I have something here worth pursuing, I'm not sure what would be. So I think the next steps in this career are the following:
  1. I need to develop a better internet presence for my gallery work (and illustration too while I'm at it). This means hiring someone to build me a website. I could do it myself, but I don't know enough to make it a smooth build and I would rather spend my limited time making artwork than struggling through the learning process. I also now have a Facebook page for my work. Check it out here: http://www.facebook.com/ErinInArtLand
  2. I need to pursue gallery representation in other cities. I think that the truest test of my work will be to see if it could survive in venues that are unfamiliar with me. Starting in baby steps, I will try to seek out galleries in other cities to show my stuff. Pittsburgh and Columbus - I'm looking at you.
  3. I should enter my work in more prestigious competitions. So far, most of the awards of my professional career has come from one place. I am incredibly grateful to BAYarts for all they've done for me - and of course I'll continue to support them - but I think I've got something here and I need to find other places to showcase it. You never know till you try, right?
 So that's my plan in a nutshell. This has been a crazy ride so far and though it hasn't been without it's bumps (some bigger than others) - I can't wait to see where it'll take me.

One more time.... EEEEEEEKKKKKK!!!!! BEST IN SHOW!! OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG! hahaha

1 comment:

  1. I hung my certificate on my fridge too. Congratulations! Art is more fun when you win sometimes.
    :)

    ReplyDelete