Wednesday, January 11, 2012

15 minutes

A Serious Artist
I am a VERY busy artist. I do freelance work and commissions, create collections for gallery shows, and teach. Oh, and I also work a full-time job. On the best days, I am on a creative high - delighted to have opportunities to do what I love. On most days, I am overwhelmed and exhausted. Or... at least I was until art marketing consultant Alison B. Stanfield gave me some very good advice:
"Spend just 15 minutes a day checking in with your art."
It is a beautiful idea. Suddenly it is OK to work just 15 minutes a night on your art as long as you do it each and every night. Of course this is not a way to make an entire show or career, but it gives permission for those nights when all you can contribute is 15 minutes. As one who can get overwhelmed by big tasks, this advice is priceless!

In a recent blog post, Gretchen Rubin of "the Happiness Project" fame, also recommends a 15 minute schedule. When facing a seemingly insurmountable task, she tells herself to, "suffer for 15 minutes". Eventually, the job gets done. (Please see that blog post here). As she says, we often underestimate how much we can get done in the short term. So go out there and take advantage of that time!

The 15 minutes can be spent any way you choose as long as it relates to your artwork. For me, this includes anything from creating artwork to marketing to reading art books. It does not include internet time (unless I am researching something specific) but can include blogging time. Usually, the time limit is just the catalyst I need to get my butt in the studio and I end working for longer. However, if I need to stop, I NEED to stop - and that is perfectly OK!

Tonight, my 15 minutes will be spent on sending artwork photos to the gallery for a press release. Did I mention that I have a gallery show opening in almost EXACTLY a month? No? Oh! I have a gallery show opening in a month. Time to get back to work!


One Month to SHOW TIME! Hope to see you there :)

No comments:

Post a Comment